Speaking Strategy: Scary Stories

Are you in the mood for some scary stories? For years both children and adults enjoy reading classic scary stories like Frankenstein, The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and Dracula. Many people also enjoy curling up to watch a horror film. Perhaps you are interested in creating your own scary stories. In fact, that's exactly how many of our favorite scary stories came to us today!

Mary Shelley, the author of Frankenstein, came up with her idea when she was with her friends. She, her husband, and two other friends were telling ghost stories to each other to pass the time during a cold and rainy season. Shelley told the story of a scientist who created a monster! Now Frankenstein is one of the most popular stories around Halloween.

This Halloween, get together with your friends and create a scary story together. Use one of the following story starters to get ideas, then take turns adding to the story. Who knows? Maybe in 100 years, everyone will be telling your story around Halloween.

  1. It was a dark and stormy night. Suddenly all of the lights went out . . .
  2. One night as I was getting ready to go to sleep, I heard my dog barking. But tonight, his barking sounded strange. I looked out the window, but instead of seeing my dog, I saw . . .
  3. I had never believed in ghosts. Not until . . .
  4. After I finished with my pumpkin, I was proud of the nice face that I carved. But when I put a candle inside, my pumpkin was no longer smiling . . .
  5. When I opened the door, hundreds of bats came flying at me. I could not believe what I heard next . . .
  6. My friends and I always enjoyed exploring the attic of my house. That is, until we found a mummy . . .
  7. They say that if a black cat crosses your path, you will have bad luck. Well, last night a black cat walked in front of me. You would not believe what happened next . . .
  8. I had always like my neighbors. They came over for dinner, brought me to movies, and gave me treats. But they never invited me inside. Last week, I found out why . . .
  9. Right after I turned off the light, I noticed my shadow on the wall. But my shadow did not look like my own. It was then I turned around and saw . . .
  10. I was having fun when I walked into the haunted house. But then the door slammed behind me, and I couldn't see any of my friends . . .

To learn more about Halloween, speaking, and telling stories, visit us at Nomen Global.

No comments:

Post a Comment